Skin Check consultations cost
The cost of a standard initial consultation can vary from $85.00 to $122. If you hold a concession card, the cost ranges from $65.00 to $102. You will receive a Medicare rebate which we can transmit for you, upon payment. If you have your bank account details registered with Medicare online then you should receive this rebate within 24-48 hours of payment.
- Standard Consult – $92 (medicare rebate $39.75 and gap fee of $45.25)
- Long Consult – $131 (medicare rebate $76.95 and gap fee of $45.05)
- Standard Consult (Children under the age of 16, Health care card and pension card holders) – $70 (medicare rebate $39.75 and gap fee of $25.25)
- Long Consult (Children under the age of 16, Health care card and pension card holders) – $110 (medicare rebate $76.95 and gap fee of $25.05)
Skin cancer treatment and other procedures may incur an out of pocket cost depending on the complexity of the procedure which would be discussed prior to the procedure.
Practice Fees update:
From the 01st January 2023, we will be ceasing routine bulk-billing.
- The gap fee for a consultation whether the consultation is short or long will be $45.25. We offer a discount fee for children under the age of 16, health care card holders and aged pensioners, and the gap fee for the consultation will be $25.25.
- The doctors are private small business owners, just like your local independent retailer, your freelance artist, your tradie. The fee you pay to see them is how they earn their money. Medicare does not pay doctors, Medicare pays you. The Government determines your Medicare rebate and how much help they want you to receive to pay your health bills. From 2013 to 2018, the Government froze your Medicare rebate, and since then, the annual increase has been well below the consumer price index (CPI). Your Medicare rebate currently stands at $39.75 for a standard consultation lasting up to 20 minutes, and it is meant to cover the room rental, administrative and nursing services, medical consumables, compulsory medicolegal insurance, income tax, mandatory professional development etc, with a small amount left for the doctor to live off.
- The fee charged by a medical practitioner covers not only their own personal income, but also the practice costs, the wages for practice staff (nurses, receptionists, administrators), and other costs for running a medical practice such as insurance, equipment, medical supplies, cleaning, rent, electricity, computers, clinical software, and continuing professional development. All of these costs increase annually, but the amount we receive for providing a service to pay for these costs does not. The Medicare rebates have not been increased in line with the rising costs of running a practice. The Government has forced our hand by failing to increase Medicare rebates in line with general inflation. This isn’t about creating a greater profit, it’s about being able to keep the doors open and keep the clinic sustainable. Bulk Billing is no longer sustainable in Australia, and a gap fee is essential for practices to survive.
- We are not able to process ‘gap’ payments. It is illegal to charge you the gap and then bulk-bill Medicare for your rebate. You need to pay in full and we can process your Medicare rebate online. Your Medicare rebate will be deposited back into the account you have nominated with Medicare, usually the same day. To check your details with Medicare are up to date, please download the Medicare Express app. There may still be times when you will be bulk-billed for certain consultations, but in general you should expect to pay a fee for any consultation with your doctor and payment is expected at the time of consultation.
- We are doing our best to inform all patients of these changes in advance so that there are no surprises at your next appointment. Please do not argue with Reception staff regarding this policy. Every effort will be made to inform you of any possible out-of-pocket expenses but staff do not set the fees or the policies and they are just doing their jobs. Payment is expected at the time of consultation.
No show or late cancellation policy
Please note that we do charge a fee for no-shows and for cancellations at less than 24 hrs notice.
Our time – as yours – is valuable.
Our ‘no-show’ or ‘late cancellation’ fee for skin check, skin review and biopsy appointments is $50 and for all procedural appointments is $100.
Location: If you are located in Maitland, and to the surrounding areas of Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Cessnock, Port Stephens, Raymond Terrace, Dungog, Kurri Kurri, Greta, Paterson, Singleton, Rutherford, Cessnock, Branxton, Stroud, Muswelbrook and Central Coast and seeking skin cancer treatment pricing then please check the details above and book your appointment accordingly.
Thank you for understanding.
The Owners of Elixir @ Hunter Skin Cancer Clinic